In New Zealand and across the globe the number of older people is growing rapidly, with the 65+ age group the fastest growing of all.
Many older people are cut off from everyday contact with others, and experience high levels of loneliness. The cost of loneliness and social isolation is well established in terms of both personal and community costs and the financial costs to primary and secondary health care systems. It is vital for the individual and their communities that we address this growing problem.
How we will operate
As we build our service nationally, Silver Line will be:
- Offering information, friendship, advice and a ‘place to chat’ for the over 55s
- Available day and night, 365 days a year
- Able to link callers to other groups and services that meet the caller’s needs
- Setting up regular befriending calls, we’ll call for a regular chat at a time that suits
- Creating special interest ‘circles’ for a group chat e.g. about hobbies, sport, travel
- Helping to ensure protection and support those who are suffering abuse and neglect